Tuberculosis (Tb) is a major public health challenge in Pakistan; Pakistan ranks 5th among the 22 high-burden countries in the world.
An estimated 300,000 people in Pakistan acquire TB annually. Gulab Devi Hospital was established for TB diseases and had been contributing a lot for diagnosing, treating and controlling the disease.
Gulab Devi Hospital adopted DOTS STRATEGY of WHO in 2006 and is following all the guidelines laid down by the WHO. Since then every efforts is being done to bring it equal to all the desired requirements of WHO.
We are working following interventions of DOTS strategy:
- DOTS 2006
- TB/HIV 2008
- MDR TB 2010
- HDL ( HOSPITAL DOTS LIKAGE )
- CHILDHOOD TB 2012
- ADULT DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE
Salient Features of DOTS Program at GDH:
- Dots program is being dealt with very experienced team consisting of chest specialists, microbiologist, pathologist, chest surgeon, radiologist & paramedical staff.
- Specialized clinical skills to patients.
- Academic and research activities.
- Training new staffs (in collaboration with NTP & Green Star Marketing).
- Strict infection control criteria for OPD and admitted Pts.
- Separate dots enclosure for smear positive Pts.
- Computerized data base, online data access for DOTS PLUS.
- Accredited research program with Punjab university and College Of Physicians And Surgeons.
- Modern well equipped lab.
- Gene Xpert technology to detect mycobacterium and its resistance in hours.
DOTS OPD PROFILE
We are dealing very high burden of patents in OPD about 200000 Pts a year and approximately 15-18%(30000-36000)are identified as suspects and undergo investigation. More than 50% (15000) are started with anti TB medicine.
DOTS PLUS WAS STARTED IN 2010
MDR-TB PROGRAM EXPANSION IN GULAB DEVI HOSPITAL LAHORE
- AUDIOMETERY SERVICES
- FIRST LINE DRUGS, SECOND LINE DRUGS & ANCILLARY DRUGS
- SOCIAL SUPPORT
- COMMUNITY/HOSPITAL BASED RESEARCH
- RESEARCH ACTIVITY
- DIGITAL X-RAY AVAILABILITY